Revision Revisited

 Matthew Salesses wrote an outstanding article on revision at Necessary Fiction the other day, and it inspired me to think a little about what rules I have for revision, since it's mostly all I do. There are no hard and fast rules - a random Google search will generate hundreds of equally good suggestions - but what I liked best about the 'thoughts' Matthew shares is that they're fairly unique. Most how-to's and guides you will find on this subject are very clinical and technical. Do this. Do that. Writing is rewriting, and writing to me has always been a very intuitive process.

The best one maybe the first:
1. To me, the most important question to ask as I revise is: Am I bored here? The best “advice” I’ve ever heard on revision was from the wonderful teacher and writer Margot Livesey. It was something like this: if you are bored, it’s not because you’ve read that section so many times, it’s because it’s boring.
A lot of the time as a writer, you spend so much time with something, you lose perspective on it. Writing a novel for me at least is something like a relationship, so I'd offer this thought:




Writing a story, novel, play, what have you, will in some way, shape or form mimic the ups and downs of a typical relationship. There will be passion. There will be boredom. There will be fits of rage. Doubt. If you're lucky, at the end you'll find a comfort and a connection to something more than yourself. If not, you will have at least hopefully learned a valuable lesson. 

I spent four years of my life with The Book of Elizabeth. At times, I hated this book. Others, I doubted my faith in it and myself. And at the end, I found a respect for it and my own ability.

I think by understanding this, you will have a sense of the needs and wants of revision. These are two different things. The needs of revision are not necessarily obvious. The wants usually are. A story will want something - an exciting scene, a different character, a different point of view. You will doubt your fidelity to the story as it is and you may or may not indulge these wants.

A story will need attention. Clarity. To hear itself. Fulfilling these needs may come naturally or you may spend a lot of time guessing at them, but knowing that you will may help you get there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then It Begins To Resolve

Doing The Peanuts Happy Dance

Mirror, Mirror