Goatscape

Oh, so it's George Lucas who is responsible for the ghettoization of sci-fi. Not post-modernism or the resulting knee-jerk insularity or anything. Another whiny article about how Star Wars ruined A) the movies B) sci-fi or C) the world. They still make great movies. They still make great sci-fi movies (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, anyone?) and still make great sci-fi books, despite evil, evil Star Wars. I especially liked the bit how they're glad SW brand of sci-fi is over at long, long last, as if it were some evil tyranny akin to the Empire lording over innocent sci-fi.

I'm a SW baby (obviously), and like Lucas, I'd never accuse the novel I've just completed, or any other I've written of being sci-fi in the strictest sense. My stories take place in settings neither sci-fi nor fantasy, but fantastic perhaps. Sci-fi properly concerns itself with ideas, technology, not so much character as literary fiction (and me) normally do, but what's sci-fi? By saying this is what it is, you're doing the job of literary snobs for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Then It Begins To Resolve

Doing The Peanuts Happy Dance

Mirror, Mirror